Friday, June 4, 2010

Week of May 24th

It’s amazing that I state so small with no large cities is the home to several of my favorite things. If you’re thinking skiing and maple syrup, you’d be wrong. But, of course maple syrup will play a role in this states celebration.

For several years I have collected jewelry goddesses, mostly from Bali. The goddess lore plays a significant role in the magnificent silver work of the artisans from Bali. And although they are beautiful, just for their craftsmanship, they also seem to have a soothing power, a talisman of sorts. My first, my favorite and my most beautiful of these goddesses are the creations of a company called Offerings, located in Putney, VT. The owners / designers, who make their home in Vermont, take their designs to the Balinese silver crafters where they are reproduced for the marketplace. Being one to never miss a shopping opportunity, I decided it was crucial to a proper Vermont celebration to purchase an addition to my collection. I’m always willing to take 1 for the team.

Another one of my favorites that has roots in Vermont is the music of the singer-songwriter Lisa McCormick. Interesting enough, I discovered this artist because one of the Offerings goddesses was used on the cover of her album Talisman Groove and there was a link to her website from offerings.com. At the time I figured any musician that used a goddess for their album cover had to be good, so I purchased the CD without even hearing it. It turned out to be a winner and I have since purchased other of her CD’s. Her music is sultry and spicy with a discernible Latin influence. I haven’t really been able to get any good bio information on Lisa McCormick so I don’t know if she grew up in Vermont or has chosen to make her home there, but either way, Vermont is lucky to have this talented singer-songwriter as part of their musical heritage.

Trust me; I have no intention of leaving out 3 wonderful food products that make up a large part of the Vermont commerce; maple syrup, cheddar cheese and Ben & Jerry’s.
Along with maple syrup, more marble and monument granite is made in Vermont than any other state in the country. No plans in the near future to make a monument but I’ll keep it in mind for the future.

Although our friends Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield couldn’t make our celebration, several flavors which originated in a renovated gas station in downtown Burlington made their appearance.

So with the soothing sounds of Lisa McCormick in the background, a table set with daisies and a green tablecloth (in honor of the “Green Mountain State”) we sat down to a sumptuous brunch of pancakes smothered with real Vermont maple syrup, accompanied by breakfast sausages made with Vermont maple syrup and topped with a fresh strawberry compote made with, you guessed it, maple syrup & cointreau. Throughout the day and several days after snacking on smoked maple syrup cheddar cheese (from Vermont) and Ben & Jerry’s was required.

Color in the “Green Mountain State” with, I don’t know let’s see, maple syrup and head out west to the “Cornhusker State” – Nebraska. 29 down – 23 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment