Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Week of May 17th

An event celebrating Hawaii almost seemed too easy. Everyone always thinks of luaus, hulas and party store leis, grass skirts and coconut bras. Now don’t get me wrong, I had no intention of skipping the coconut bra but I wanted to dig a little deeper.

The Aloha State is rich in coffee, macadamia nuts, sugarcane, and pineapples and these, of course, will be part of the celebration.

The luau is a traditional Hawaiian feast. It may feature food, such as poi, roasted pig, native fish, lomi salmon; and entertainment, such as Hawaiian music and hula. Hawaiians often blend the concepts of "luau" and "party", resulting in luaus for most life cycle events; weddings, graduations and birthdays. In the Hawaiian culture it is considered good manners to bring a small gift (for example, a dessert) when visiting another’s home. Thus, luaus usually become potlucks.

“Hula” music is easy to find but, in my search, I discovered a contemporary form of music called Jawaiian which is an interesting blend of native Hawaiian music and reggae. I particularly liked the musician O-Shen. Downloading the popular hula music, however, was necessary for our celebration. Since select soccer wasn’t available when I was in my preteen years, my parents enrolled me in several years of Hawaiian dance classes taught by a Hawaiian via Las Vegas – Paur Lanai. I planned to put my education to good use.

The image of the hibiscus is often associated with Hawaii and is frequently found behind a woman’s ear. It”s important to note that the native Hawaiian hibiscus flower is much smaller than the hibiscus we enjoy on our decks and planters in the summer. (Mine waited until 1 day after our celebration to bloom.) It is also equally important to note that you wear the flower behind your left ear if you are in a relationship and behind the right if you’re available. Gardenias and Bird of Paradise are also important indigenous flowers.

So with shells, Birds of Paradise and a floral pareo decorating the table and “Lovely Hula Hands” playing in the background we were ready for our luau to begin. Our friends showed up with the fixings for Pina Coladas and assorted tropical drinks and the fun began. Just for the record, the obligatory Hawaiian shirts, leis, Muu Muus and coconut bras were the required dress code.

We started the feast with an authentic lomi lomi salmon, which a tomato salad with salted salmon. Following that we had a marvelous baked mahi mahi, ginger carrots, pineapple and sweet Hawaiian Bread. The meal was brought to a close with my first attempt (huge success) at chocolate lava cakes. Although this isn’t really a Hawaiian dessert my son suggested it to honor the Hawaiian volcanoes. (Truthfully I think he just wanted something chocolate.)

Color in (actually outside) the “Aloha State” with bright coral hibiscus and head to the North East to the “Green Mountain State” – Vermont. 28 down – 24 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment